Thursday, March 10, 2011

Women’s History Trumps New Year’s Resolutions

As a woman, I find March to be a time of reflection much stronger than January first. After all, how can I find time to make an earth-shattering resolution, when I’m still recovering from two months of family obligations and the requisite cooking and cleaning?

February is when the chocolate heart holiday rolls around – hardly a good time to make a resolution of any sort. It’s also the time when my neighbors are probably wondering why my Christmas tree is still decorated and displayed in the front window. Hey – at least the lights aren’t turned on! 

March is Women’s History Month. If that is not a motivator, I don’t know what is. I can’t loaf back on the couch, when the ghosts of historic women haunt my thoughts. The first woman seaplane pilot in my state was my grandmother-in-law. She was the inspiration for my first article on Women’s History Month. Documenting her adventures reinvigorated my writing career and I dedicate each March to making my own creative history in her honor.

This March, I finished the young adult novel I’ve been writing. For that feat, I thank my critique group. My SAWG colleagues are not afraid to tell me what is working and more importantly, what is not. If you haven’t found a good critique group yet, it’s time for you to sharpen your pencil and venture out of your creative cave. It’s really not that scary – trust me.

Woman, man or other sentient being scanning the Internet, I hope you make history this March. Join the critique group at your local library and if they don’t have one – start one. I’ll be back to cheer you on as you make your resolution to create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment